Temporary Officiants

As of July 1, 2008, Title 18 of Vermont law allows the Vermont secretary of state to authorize individuals to officiate at specific marriages in Vermont. To become a temporary officiant, an applicant must fill out a registration form and return it with a filing fee of $100 (check or money order) to:

Office of the Secretary of State
Temporary Officiant Program
128 State Street
Montpelier, Vermont 05633-1101

The applicant will then receive written authorization from the secretary of state to officiate at a specific marriage. This authorization must be attached to the marriage license that is returned to the issuing municipal clerk. Officiants must be 18 years of age, or older. Please submit the registration form at least 10 days prior to the ceremony.

To obtain marriage and civil union records please contact the Vital Records Office at the Vermont Department of Health 802-863-7275 or 800-439-5008 (toll free in Vermont only). You can also obtain these documents by contacting the town clerk in the town where the marriage or union was registered.

Forms & Guides

This page was last updated: 2014-08-12