Union Agricultural Society
The Tunbridge Fair began in a North Tunbridge cow pasture. Six years later, in 1867, the first fair society established a more permanent fair. The guest orator for that fair, Lt. Gov. Burnham Martin referred to the event as “the little World’s Fair.” The following year, the directors dropped the “little.” And it’s been called the Tunbridge World’s Fair ever since. In 1875, the fair was first held on its present grounds as a two-day event. In the early years, most fairgoers were rural people from the Central Vermont area. As working habits evolved, it became necessary to change the fair dates in 1962 to include the weekend. In an attempt to attract more customers, the fair was expanded to four days in 1970. Many agricultural traditions are honored and current farming ideals are supported, such as diversification, organics and sustainability. The fair is still a source of pride to competing exhibitors, as well as a welcome release from the stresses of everyday life. The renewal of friendships, tall tales, good music, amusements and fair food continue to create a true country fair, still going strong after all these years.