The Vermont Center for the Hard of Hearing, Brattleboro
In 1904, after retiring in Brattleboro, U.S. Army Colonel William Austine left a generous bequest that became the seed for a special school for Vermont’s blind and deaf students. That same year, the Vermont Legislature chartered the Austine Sanatorium, which in 1908 would become rechristened the Austine School. The school opened to students in 1912. Over 100 years later, the Vermont Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing encompasses the Austine School, regional classrooms, consultant services for mainstreamed students, parent-infant programs, family mentoring programs, adult services, and numerous other support options, serving over 4,000 Vermonters annually.