Greater Burlington YMCA

Est. 1866

The Greater Burlington Y was founded in 1866 as the Burlington Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA). In 1929, after the loss of two buildings to fire, the YMCA and local community raised funds for a new YMCA at 266 College Street, opening in 1934. The new building housed a gym, indoor pool and residence rooms, which allowed the Y to become an integral part of the Burlington community. Today, the Y serves more than 15,000 people annually for all ages and walks of life, providing each individual—whether a child, adult or senior—the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive. Annually, the Y provides $400,000 in financial assistance and an additional $500,000 in free and subsidized programs to those in need. The Y is the largest child care provider in Vermont, serving 2,100 families annually and 1,100 children daily. The Y’s mission is to build a strong community by involving youth, adults and families in programs and activities that develop spirit, mind and body. Y programs and activities support youth development, healthy living and social responsibility and are available to all regardless of the ability pay.

<back>

2012 Non Profit Centennial Awards 019

This page was last updated: 2014-03-03