Business Name Reservation
The "Application to Reserve a Specified Business Name" is an optional filing that may precede the registration of a Trade Name, or of a Domestic or Foreign Corporation, Nonprofit, Limited Liability Company, or MBE.
A Specified Business Name Reservation serves to secure the exclusive right to the use of a business name any person or business entity for a short period of time (see "Duration" below).
- A business name reservation does not confer the authority to do business under the reserved business name.
- A business name reservation is completely optional and not a prerequisite for registering a business with the secretary of state.
Name Reservation Law
Name Reservation Fees
Please see “Fees & Filings” for the costs of trade name reservation.
Once registered, a business name reservation will expire after 120 days if not renewed prior to expiration. Business name reservation may only be renewed up to twice (with the exception of MBEs, whose initial name reservation is nonrenewable).
A person or business entity whose registration is effective may register to do business under that name. The name reservation ends when the person or business entity owner registers or transfers the reservation (form below) to another person or business entity.
Name Reservation Filing: Online or by Mail
Online Name Reservation Filing
- Log into our Online Business Service Center.
- If you are a returning customer, please use an existing User ID and Password that you may already have.
- If you are a first-time filer, just select "Create User Account" and create your own login. Please keep this safe for use in future filings.
- Select your desired filing: Reservation, Transfer, or Renewal under “Name Reservation" under VT SEC OF STATE ONLINE SERVICES from the Main Menu. (left side of page)
- Follow the on-screen prompts & confirm, update, or enter all required information.
Name Reservation Filing by Mail
To file name reservation filings by correspondence with a traditional paper check, you must complete the online filing process (above) and select this option at the end as a method of payment.
Please allow 7-10 business days for the processing of any filings received by mail. If you require a form, please click here.