Start or Register a Business

If you are seeking to do business in Vermont as a business name other than your own personal name, regardless of the goods or services provided, you must register your business with this office first.

By registering your business with this office as follows below, you gain both:

  1. Protection of your sole rights to your business name in Vermont.
  2. Authority or license to do business in Vermont under your business name.


Are you seeking to register an existing foreign (i.e. non-Vermont) business to do business in Vermont?

If you are registered in another state and wish to do business in Vermont, you will have to apply for authority to operate in Vermont. Please follow the link below for more information:

Foreign Business Registration

Please Note: You will be required to provide us with a recent Certificate of Good Standing (or equivalent) from your home state (valid no later than 30 days for corporations and nonprofits, and 90 days for LLCs, from the date of filing).


Are you starting a business from scratch in Vermont?

If not already determined, your first step is to choose your business type. To get more information regarding available business types, please select from the following:  

Please note: It is recommended, but not required, that you consult with an attorney and/or an accountant regarding selecting your business type.

Also, please DO NOT: invest in advertising, websites, signage, etc. until you have received confirmation that your business name has been successfully registered with this office — if not you may incur unnecessary expenses and steps to complete the following steps.


Once you have determined which business type is best for you:


  1. Register your business name with this office.
    • To begin this step, please see the registration instructions for your desired business type by selecting it from the list above.

  2. Register your business, if necessary, with the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

  3. Establish, if necessary, a Vermont Corporate or Business Entity Tax Account with the Vermont Department of Tax.

  4. Establish, if necessary, an Employer Tax Account with the Vermont Department of Labor.

  5. Register for incentives and opportunities, if qualified, with the Vermont Department of Economic Development.
  6. Many retailers not aware of the licensing required in order to sell or use a variety of items found in retail stores that you may normally not connect with agriculture are in fact regulated by the Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets (VAAFM). Please see the VAAFM for the current requirements.


Other helpful resources:

Online Registration Guide

Business Start-Up Guide

Business Expansion Guide

What's Next After Business Registration?

This page was last updated: 2017-01-19