Amusement Rides

Amusement Ride

A mechanical device which carries or conveys passengers along, around or over a fixed or restricted route or course for the purpose of giving the passengers amusement, pleasure, thrills or excitement. In addition, for the purposes of registration, amusement rides also includes bungee jumping.

If you are an amusement ride operator who intends to operate a ride in the state of Vermont, you must register proof of insurance for the intended rides with the Office of the Secretary of State and the Department of Labor.

Secretary of State Requirements

Whether filing online or by mail, you will need to submit the documentation listed below with your registration form:

  1. A Ride List that clearly states the name, serial number, capacity, speed, and description of motion or travel where applicable. 
  2. A certificate of insurance which includes:
    • Legal name and address.
    • A minimum of $1,000,000 in coverage.
    • An effective period that covers the intended event being attended.
    • A Schedule of Rides that matches the serial numbers of the Ride List exactly.
    • The Vermont Secretary of State, 128 State Street, Montpelier, Vermont 05633-1104 listed as a certificate holder.

   Please note:

  • Your Certificate of Operation must be registered and approved by the Secretary of State at least 15 days before the amusement ride is first operated in Vermont. (31 V.S.A. § 722(b))
  • An operator or owner who violates operates without a Certificate of Operation may be fined up to $500.00 per day for each day the violation continues. (31 V.S.A. § 724)

Registration Fee

Please see “Fees & Filings” for the costs of registration.

Registering an Amusement Ride Operator Online

Login and Register Amusement Ride Operator

Registering by Mail

Please allow 7-10 business days for the processing of any filings received by mail. If you require a form, please click here.

For questions regarding Secretary of State requirements, please see our "
Contact Us" page.

Department of Labor Requirements

The Department of Labor has an interest in keeping your employees and the public safe.  Please contact Stephen Monahan to register proof of workers compensation insurance that is satisfactory to the state of Vermont.  Please recognize that not all workers compensation policies from other states are approved by the state of Vermont.

For questions regarding Department of Labor requirements only, please contact:  

J. Stephen Monahan, Director
Workers' Compensation & Safety Division
Vermont Department of Labor
Tel: 802-828-2138
Fax: 802-828-2195

This page was last updated: 2019-07-18