Authorization to Access Records

Unlike records in the State Archives, records in the State Records Center remain under the legal custody of their creating agency or department. Access to records stored in the State Records Center must be authorized by the appropriate state agency or department. 

In some cases, an agency’s records officer or records liaison may grant special authorization to access records via VSARA's Reference Room. All public records requests and inquiries related to records stored in the State Records Center, including requests for specific access, however, must be submitted directly to the appropriate state agency.

A list of State agencies and departments is available online at


This page was last updated: 2018-02-13