Statutes are the compilation of codified law and a specific statute is often the starting point for compiling legislative research. Statutes provide information about the law as it exists at a given moment and reflects the individual legislative acts that shaped the language of a statute over time.
Statutes are organized by subject, known as titles. Each title is then divided into chapters, sub-chapters, and sections.
The current statutes, known as the Vermont Statutes Annotated, are updated annually and can be found in published and online versions:
- Vermont Statutes Online: the unofficial version of the statutes from the Vermont State Legislature’s website.
- Vermont Statutes Unannotated: the official version of the statutes from Lexis-Nexis.
- Vermont Statutes Annotated: known as “the Green Books,” the hard copy, official versions of the statutes that include extensive historical notes and references to case law. These can be found in local libraries, town offices, the State Library, and our Reference Room.
The history notes at the end of each section of statute indicate the year and act number of the legislative acts that added or amended that particular section of statute. This information is often the starting point for researching legislative acts.
Isn’t There a Law About That? A Guide to Finding Vermont Law offers guidance on researching the Vermont Statutes Annotated.
Statutes Prior to 1959
The first compilation of the Vermont Statutes Annotated was not published until 1959. Prior to this, compilations of Vermont statutes were only updated and published approximately every ten to fifteen years. More recent versions of the older statutes can be found in local libraries and in our Reference Room. Earlier versions of the statutes can be found online.
- Vermont Statutes, Revision of 1947
- Public Laws of Vermont, 1933
- General Laws of Vermont, 1917
- Public Statutes of Vermont, 1906
- Vermont Statutes, 1894
- Revised Laws of Vermont, 1880
- General Statutes, 1862
- Compiled Statutes, 1851
- Vermont Revised Statutes, 1839
- The Laws of Vermont of a Publick and Permanent Nature, 1824
- The Laws of the State of Vermont, Digested and Compiled, 1808