Uniform Fee Schedule
Under 1 V.S.A. 316(d) the secretary shall adopt, by rule, a uniform schedule of public record charges for state agencies. The current rule was adopted November 14, 2003 and became effective on December 1, 2003. The schedule also applies, under 1 V.S.A. 316(e), to political subdivisions whose legislative bodies have not adopted a uniform schedule. The schedule does not apply to public records governed by fees otherwise established by law.
Uniform Schedule of Public Records Charges for State Agencies (CVR 04-000-002)
Pursuant to 1 V.S.A. 316(d) and Acts 1996, No. 159 section 1, the following fees are established as the actual cost of providing a copy of a public record:*
- For staff time involved in physically duplicating a record, $.33 per minute after the first 30 minutes.
- For senior-level staff time, and information technology specialists’ time spent extracting data from databases, or performing similar tasks necessary to comply with a request to create a new public record, $.57 per minute.
- For any other staff time for which cost can be charged and collected under this section, $.45 per minute.
- For photocopies, $.05 per single-sided page, $.09 per double-sided page for pages up to 8.5 by 14 inches.
- For color photocopies, $1.00 per single-sided page.
- For computer-generated paper copies, $.02 per page for pages up to 8.5 by 14 inches.
- For computer diskettes, $.28 each for 3.5-inch diskettes.
- For compact discs, $.86 each for write-once CD w/case, $2.31 each for re-writable CD w/case.
- For audio tapes, $.81 each.
- For video tapes, $1.69 each.
- For DVDs, $2.00 each for write-once DVD w/case, $4.00 each for re-writable DVD w/case.
*Note: there are fees for copies of public records that are established by statute that may override the fees established by this schedule.