Administrative Procedures Act (APA) and the Office of the Secretary of State
The Vermont Administrative Procedures Act was first adopted in 1968 (Act No. 360 of 1967 Adj.), and governs the process by which administrative rules are to be adopted by state agencies. It can be found at Title 3 V.S.A. Chapter 25.
The Office of the Secretary of State is charged with specific duties under this statute, including:
- creating forms for rule filings (new forms have been posted),
- receiving rule filings,
- publishing notices of rulemaking online (https://secure.vermont.gov/SOS/rules/index.php),
- publishing notices of rulemaking in the newspapers of record,
- arranging publication of a bulletin of rules (aka Code of Vermont Rules), and
- providing a repository for rule filings.
The Office of the Secretary of State has adopted the Rule on Rulemaking for the effective administration of Title 3 V.S.A. Chapter 25. Except for the Rule on Rulemaking, these web pages do not provide electronic text of rules.
If you have general questions about the rulemaking process, please contact Louise Corliss by email at email@example.com or by phone at 802-828-2863.