Grounds for refusal of a financing statement. The
following grounds are the sole grounds for the filing officer’s refusal to
accept a UCC document for filing. As used herein, the term "legible" is not
limited to refer only to written expressions on paper: it requires a
machine-readable transmission for electronic transmissions and an otherwise
readily decipherable transmission in other cases.
(1) The record is not communicated by a method or medium of communication
authorized by the filing office.
(2) An amount equal to or greater than the applicable filing fee is not
(3) The filing office is unable to index the record because (a) in the case
of an initial financing statement, the record does not provide a name for the
debtor (b) in the case of an amendment or correction statement, the record
does not provide the initial financing statement file number or does not
provide the name of the debtor, or identifies an initial financing statement
whose effectiveness has lapsed under section 9-515.
(4) In the case of an initial financing statement that provides the name of
a debtor identified as an individual or an amendment that provides a name of a
debtor identified as an individual which was not previously provided in the
financing statement to which the record relates, the record does not identify
the debtor’s last name.
(5) In the case of a record recorded in the filing office described in
section 9-501(a)(1), the record does not provide a sufficient description of
the real property to which it relates.
(6) In the case of an initial financing statement or an amendment that adds
a secured party of record, the record does not provide a name and mailing
address for the secured party of record.
(7) In the case of an initial financing statement or an amendment that
provides a name of a debtor which was not previously provided in the financing
statement to which the amendment relates, the record does not: (1) provide a
mailing address for the debtor; (2) indicate whether the debtor is an
individual or an organization; or (3) if the financing statement indicates
that the debtor is an organization, provide; (4) the type of organization of
the debtor; (5) a jurisdiction of organization for the debtor; or (5) an
organizational identification number for the debtor or indicate that the
debtor has none.
(8) In the case of an assignment reflected in an initial financing
statement under 5-14(a) or an amendment filed under section 9-514(b), the
record does not provide a name and mailing address for the assignee.
(9) In the case of a continuation statement, the record is not filed within
the six-month period prescribed by section 9-515(d).
(10) If a record does not provide sufficient information or the filing
office is unable to read or decipher the information or type of filing or
fails to identify an initial statement to which it relates.
Timeliness of continuation.
A continuation shall be refused if it is not received during the six month
period concluding on the day upon which the related financing statement would