|VERMONT SECRETARY OF STATE - Jim Condos|
Vermont Centennial Nonprofit
A project of the Office of the Secretary of State
A project of the Office of the Secretary of State
Burr and Burton Academy of Manchester – est. 1829
Burr and Burton Academy, located in Manchester Village, Vermont, is an independent, coeducational, nondenominational day school with a current enrollment of 600 students in grades 9 through 12. Burr and Burton Academy serves as the secondary school of choice for all area towns that approve its annual tuition. Students come from Manchester, Dorset and the surrounding towns of Danby, Londonderry, Landgrove, Mt. Tabor, Peru, Stratton, Sunderland, Weston, and Winhall. A small boarding program houses international students with local families and in dormitories. Burr and Burton Academy offers a college preparatory curriculum as well as special education programs. Their mission is to educate its students intellectually and morally, for a life of responsibility, integrity, and service.
A brief history: Joseph Burr, a wealthy local merchant who died in 1828, left a bequest of $10,000 for the founding of a school in Manchester, Vermont. The will stipulated that the legacy must be matched dollar for dollar within five years through public subscription. The first board of trustees worked tirelessly to raise the money, traveling all over the state in search of support. In 1831 they felt confident enough to vote for the purchase of land and the construction of a school building, and on November 28, 1832, just four months short of the expiration date stipulated in Burr's will, Seminary Building was completed. The first students arrived on May 15, 1833. For the first 16 years it was exclusively a school for young men intending to go on to higher education. In response to popular demand, 16 girls were educated informally at Burr Seminary in 1849, largely due to the efforts of faculty member William A. Burnham. By 1850 there were 56 girls in attendance, necessitating the engagement of the first preceptress, Miss Cornelia Orvis.
When Josiah K. Burton, one of Burr Seminary's founding trustees, died in 1853, he left a bequest for the founding of a girls' seminary, with the provision that the funds be given to Burr Seminary for the same objective if a girls' seminary could not be established. In 1855 the trustees officially admitted young women and in 1860 the name of the school was changed to Burr and Burton Seminary. In 1999 the trustees voted to change the name once again to Burr and Burton Academy, this time to reflect accurately the mission of the school as it enters its third century.
While the school has changed significantly during its rich history, it remains true to its founders' intentions: an independent academy dedicated to providing an excellent education to the children of southern Vermont.
College Street Congregational Church, United Church of Christ of Burlington – est. 1860
In 1860 fifty-two men and woman (mostly from the First Calvinistic Congregational Church) joined together to form the Third Congregational Church and Society in the city of Burlington. The group included a number of business men, lawyers, six of the seven professors and the president of the University of Vermont and the owner and editor of The Burlington Free Press. It is clear from early archives that the group felt strongly about the issues of slavery, women's rights and the desire for more freedom of thought and action, in relation to church doctrine.
Public worship services were held in the Court House, and the Third Congregational Church and Society was formally organized on November 4, 1860. The present church on the corner of College and South Union Streets was begun in 1863 and dedicated on February 27, 1866. The building, located on corners of College and South Union Streets, was designed by J.D. Towle of Boston in the Collegiate Gothic style. Made of local sandstone and limestone from Isle Lamotte and slate from the southern part of the state, it was in sharp contrast to the traditional white New England church.
In keeping with its desire for a more liberal religious tradition, in 1872 the church voted to no longer require new members to give assent to the Articles of Faith, but only to a simple profession of faith. The church also soon chose to allow women to be deacons. College Street Church has from its beginning had a strong social conscience. Members of the church were active in the Underground Railway, and in social services that helped to create a home for Civil War orphans (now the Baird Center), a home for unwed mothers (now the Lund Home), and the Home for Aged Women (now the Converse Home). Nationally know social worker, Sara Holbrook, who began valuable educational and social work in the old North End of Burlington, was an active member of College Street Church, and the church was instrumental in beginning Meals on Wheels. This tradition of caring for the greater community has continued through the years with participation in serving meals at the Salvation Army, the encouragement of local arts, its help in the founding of the Joint Urban Ministry Project, which serves those who "fall through the cracks" of government assistance. Our active Mission Board keeps the congregation alerted to needs during world calamities as well as pressing needs in the community. Most recent is the church's involvement in Vermont Interfaith Action that currently seeks action on the issues of injustice relating to health care, affordable housing and the problems of youth.
In 1888 the name of the church was changed to the College Street Congregational Church. Seventy-two years later, on January 20, 1960, the Third Congregational Society and the church united and were incorporated as the Third Congregational Church. A year later the church voted to become a part of the United Church of Christ, its current denominational home, formed by a union of the Congregational Christian Churches and the Evangelical and reformed Churches.
The church building has undergone a number of restoration projects over the years. An addition was added to house a community room and offices in 1950, and in 1988 it held a major fund drive named the "Restore to Glory" campaign that allowed for more handicapped access, extensive repairs to the stonework and stained glass windows and a repainting of the interior of the sanctuary.
The current ministry and mission of the church include a strong children's program, excellent music with two choral and one bell choir, and highly skilled pastoral leadership. There is a high level of volunteer leadership and support for the various parts of its mission in the community (i.e. Salvation Army dinners, JUMP, Meals on Wheels and Vermont Interfaith Action) and support for national and world missions in The United Church of Christ. It is noteworthy that in the past 15 years, five women from College Street Church have attended seminaries and have become ordained.
In 2008 the church had a successful capital campaign which resulted in major changes to the steeple, the stonework and the roof, stabilized the walls, added three new classrooms and an archive room to the ground level of the building, along with much needed handicapped access to the front of the church. The congregation has been celebrating its 150 years throughout the year, rejoicing in its added space for activities, housing the YMCA childcare, and historical research in its archives.
Morristown Centennial Library – est. 1891
Laura Kinney Gleed encouraged the Town of Morristown to open a library and doors were opened on April 19, 1991. This was the centennial year of the town and it seemed appropriate to do this at this time. The Library's first quarters were on Portland Street followed by a move to main Street in 1892. The present brick building which houses the library was opened in 1913.
The Morristown Centennial Library Association (MCLA) was established in 1891. Pursuant to its constitution, the Library's purpose is "to disseminate useful knowledge and to contribute in every proper way to the literary, moral, and educational welfare of the community." The MCLA remains a private, non-profit public-service corporation today. Its written goals are the following: (a) To provide, support and conduct a free public library for the impartial use and benefit of the inhabitants of Morristown and surrounding area; (b) To serve the area as a center for reliable information; (c) To provide opportunity and encouragement for children, young people, men and women to educate themselves continually; (d) To seek continually to identify community needs, to provide programs of service to meet such needs, and to cooperate with other organizations, agencies and institutions which can provide programs or services to meet community needs; (e) To enrich community life by sponsoring and hosting programs of public interest in the disciplines of literature, history, philosophy, linguistics, and the arts, and (f) To support the Library Bill of Rights and Freedom to Read Statement.
The Town of Morristown owns the Morristown Centennial Library building and is responsible for its maintenance, while the Board of Trustees by statute has "the control and management of the affairs and property of the corporation." The Board of Trustees consists of ten members (two of whom are elected annually at Town Meeting). In recent years, approximately 50% of the annual budget has come from the Town Appropriation, 45% from the Library Endowment and 5% from donations.
The MCLA's physical facility is the Morristown Centennial Library, one of the original Carnegie Libraries, a 2890 square foot red-brick building in Colonial Revival style with a four-columned portico, sidelights, an arched entrance, and a round window in the gable.
Currently, the Library has outgrown the original brick building and is in the process of building an addition and renovating the building as the demands on its resources have vastly increased along with the need to be handicapped accessible. While the Library now has the much needed space in the addition, it is an empty shell and cannot be used until more funding is raised.
Boltonville Burying Ground Association of Newbury – est. 1899
The history of Newbury, Vermont, 1704-1902 states, "The cemetery at Boltonville is of late enclosure, and contains many graves--the earliest burial was in 1842. Lieut. John Whitcher, John and Stephen Putnam and Carlos Chamberlin, of the civil war, rest here."
Boltonville, originally called "Brock Falls," gets its name from William Bolton, the first postmaster of the mail route established there in 1831. The cemetery is located on the north side of Route 302 near the access to Interstate 91.
Benjamin Chamberlin died in 1872, his wife, Sally, died in 1868. Their stones appear to be two of the oldest ones. William Bolton was born in 1799 and died in 1883.
The Boltonville Burying Ground Association was organized the 26th day of August 1899. On August 18, 1899, its Articles of Association were filed and recorded in Montpelier, Vermont and later at the Newbury Town Clerk's office August 31, 1899 Book 1, page 18 of "Charters." On May 24, 1950, the Boltonville Burying Ground Association held a special meeting for the purpose of reorganizing and amending its by-laws.
Rutland Masonic Association – est. 1899
The Rutland Masonic Association, Inc. was formed and incorporated to build and maintain a structure in Rutland to house several Masonic Bodies, two (2) Masonic Lodges, Center Lodge #34 Free and Accepted Masons and Rutland Lodge, Number 79 Free and Accepted Masons as well as two (2) bodies better known as York Rite Freemasons, Davenport Chapter Number 17 Royal Arch Masons and Killington Commandery Number 6 Knights Templar. Construction of the building was started in 1901 and the magnificent structure completed in 1904. Total construction costs were approximately $25,000.00. Since its construction, the building has been in continuous operation for the sole purpose of housing the same four (4) Masonic Bodies that chartered its construction. The outside facade of the facility appears today as it was originally constructed, with patterned brickwork, marble columns, and stained glass windows.
The by-laws state "The objects of this Association shall be the receiving of subscriptions, donations and bequests of money as other property, real or personal, and of holding, managing, controlling, expending and encumbering the same to secure loans, and erecting, finishing, furnishing, controlling and managing a building or buildings for the use of four Masonic bodies, viz, - Center Lodge, No 34 F. & A.M. Rutland Lodge, No 79, F. & A.M., Davenport Chapter, No 17, R.A.M. And Killington Commandery No 6 K.T. and the survivor of survivors of them and the members thereof." The Rutland Masonic Association is pleased to have been able to operate for over 100 years without having to change this objective.
Bristol Cemetery Association – est. 1900
Greenwood Cemetery in the Town of Bristol was established in approximately 1800. Previous names of the cemetery included "Village Cemetery, Bristol Cemetery and Stoney Hill Cemetery". It is located at the foot of Stoney Hill on the north side of Vermont Routes 17 and 116. It has grown in size from approximately 2 acres to 18.75 acres.
The Bristol Cemetery Association was incorporated by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont on November 27, 1900. The title and all property and records of the cemetery previously vested in the Town of Bristol were then vested in the corporation following a vote by the Town of Bristol. The Articles of Association were filed with the State of Vermont in 1901.
The first known burial was in 1802. There are an estimated 5700 burials in Greenwood Cemetery.
Members of the association have been working for several years on a database of lots and burials in the cemetery. This has been a challenge as there are not known records existing prior to 1895 and many of the early 1800 monuments are difficult to read and have become broken and deteriorated. Cemetery maps have been digitized and updated.
The association membership dedicate many hours of their time in keeping the cemetery records up to date, the grounds in good repair and well groomed. As a result, Bristol has a cemetery of which the community can be proud.
Greensboro Free Library – est. 1900
The Greensboro Free Library is the intellectual hub of the community. For 136 years it has sought to attend to the literary health of Greensboro, which swells each year from a population of 772 in the winter to 3000 in the summer. The vision of the first librarian, "a valuable book is to be always coveted and gives a healthy tone to a reading people" guides the citizens who lead the Library today. The present Library (with 12 public access computers and a winterized porch for laptop users) is housed in a wing added on to an imposing Italianate-style, two story residence build in 1890 and renovated in 2009.
Meccawe Club of Reading – est. 1900
Second Congregational Church of Hyde Park – est. 1900
The Second Congregational Church, UCC of Hyde Park was build in 1901 and burned in 1902 when a catastrophic fire burned half of the town. Luckily members and friends were able to remove the stain glass windows and pews before the fire struck.
The church building has always been made available for any group that needs a place to meet. Boy and girls scouts, AA, Lamoille County Players and many others.
The Second Congregational Church hosts a community breakfast on the first of every month. People pay by donation and just enjoy a lovely breakfast. The Church as helped people in the area with groceries, paying for medicine, electric bills, and minister to whatever their needs might be. The Church also addresses world-wide needs with special monetary collections.
The Church has a long history of caring and supporting people in need. Many of the families attending the church can trace their families back to the earliest records.
It is a beautiful Church both inside and out.
Brandon Free Public Library – est. 1901
The Brandon Free Public Library has been in operation since January 1, 1901 and has served the communities of Brandon, Leicester, Sudbury and Goshen for over 100 years. The Library is located at the corner of Park and Franklin Streets in a building recognized by the Historical Society. The Board of Directors and the librarians of the Library are committed to providing access to books, information resources, and technology according to the Library's mission and strategic plan.
Fletcher Memorial Library, Inc. of Ludlow – est. 1901
The Fletcher Memorial Library opened its doors to the Ludlow Community on November 1, 1901. Allen M. Fletcher, past Vermont Governor, built Fletcher Memorial Library as a memorial to his father, Stoughton Fletcher.
The building has long been recognized as an architectural gem, "the style being that of later English Renaissance". A Children's Wing was added to the Library in 1964 funded through the generosity of Fanny Fletcher, Allen's sister. In 2004 a Renovation Project enabled the Library to meet ADA Standards and create usable community space.
As quoted by Governor Stickney on the occasion of the Library's dedication, "Fletcher Memorial Library is truly a jewel within our community".
Haskell Free Library, Inc. of Derby Line – est. 1901
Humane Society of Chittenden County – est. 1901
West Enosburg Cemetery Association – est. 1901
YMCA Camp Abnaki – est. 1901
YMCA Camp Abnaki was founded by Byron "Dad" Clark in 1901, with the purpose of providing boys the benefits of camp--character development, self-esteem, and a connection with the natural world. Each summer, Camp Abnaki provides hundreds of boys with positive role models and helps them to become more healthy, confident, connected and secure children and teens. Camp Abnaki has been owned and operated by the Greater Burlington YMCA since 1989. Our camp motto, "Help the Other Fellow," still rings as true for today's campers as it did 110 years ago.
Church of Christ of West Rupert – est. 1902
Jeffersonville Cemetery Association – est. 1902
The Jefferson Cemetery is located near the intersections of Route 108 and Route 15 in Jeffersonville, Vermont. This beautiful hillside cemetery is adorned by a black iron gated entrance and hosts a black ornate water fountain that runs from May through October. A memorial garden surrounds the fountain.
The Jeffersonville Cemetery Association became an official organization in 1902. The beginning years of this burial ground go back more than 100 years before that date. Some of the earliest carved stones are: 1801 Miss Sarah Peabody and 1803 Joseph Bacon.
The Cemetery is the resting place of many veterans of wars: Revolutionary, Civil War, WWI, WWII, as well as today's conflicts.
The village land which the Cemetery sits was once farmland belonging to the Melendy Farm (now known as Smugglers' Notch Inn).
The Jeffersonville Cemetery has been organized, guided and maintained by the Jeffersonville Cemetery Association since 1902. This dedicated group of volunteers has continuously met four times a year (and sometimes more frequently) all of these years.
South Franklin Cemetery Association – est. 1902
The South Franklin Cemetery lies on the south easterly side of the town of Franklin. South Franklin was a small community within the township and boasted a school and a church. There are gravesites that date back to the early 1800's. The cemetery was established as an association with the primary purpose of overseeing the care of the area.
The South Franklin Association members are those who have a definitive interest; most have family members who have been buried there or have purchased lots for their family. The Association meets formally at least once per year and have been fortunate to have enough funds to be able to keep the cemetery in very good condition. Although there is more work to do, this year all stones were cleaned and some of the old maple trees replaced.
South Londonderry Library Association – est. 1902
The South Londonderry Library was organized on February 1, 1902 at a meeting held at the home of the Honorable Addison E. Cudworth. Judge Cudworth wrote The History of Londonderry, which is still a prized holding of the Library. On February 8, 1902 the meeting reconvened with the constitution and by-laws adopted and the Association was thus formed. It was voted that the Executive Committee purchase suitable record for the use of the secretary and treasurer. There were 33 charter members and the first order of books and freight amounted to $55.36.
According to the minutes of the First Annual Meeting held on February 7, 1903, there were 61 members; $5.14 was collected for fines; and total volumes owned were 351. Circulation of those volumes totaled 700. For a time the library was in the home and the librarian was "on call." Eventually it was voted to have the library open on Friday evenings and the purchasing committee was instructed to cause a printed list of all the books in the collection.
Most libraries were local endeavors and in 1908, it was voted to charge a $1.00 fee to join the South Londonderry Library and $.50 per year to continue as a member in good standing. In addition, membership required acceptance by present members in what was almost a private club.
In 1911, the officers were re-elected and $25 was voted to be the nucleus of a building fund. In 1913, Mrs. Warren W. (Lena) Heald was voted payment for her services as librarian. Ralph Goddard and W.S. Corey were voted into membership and were the first adolescent members. In 1918 there were 1,523 books owned by the library and 2,398 books were loaned. After this time, interest seemed to suddenly wane until 1932 when there was a movement to reorganize. In 1933 members voted to move the library to the unoccupied "Sifter" building and the deed was given on September 7, 1933 by Della E. Warren and Susan Hapgood Millington to the South Londonderry Society on payment of $250.00 with the first association meeting held there in May, 1936.
On March 18, 1947, the Town of Londonderry voted to accept the Cora E. Pierce Library Fund for "support or improvement of a new or existing free public library in that part of the Township of Londonderry known as South Londonderry."
In November, 1953 the Building Committee finally decided to purchase the Lizzie McAllister property and is the present home of the South Londonderry Free Library which now houses 14,000 books, book-on-tape, large print books, a fax machine, a copier and a computer with internet access. All of this would not have been possible with the effort, time and intellectual integrity of all of those who went before.
Goethe Lodge No 592 D.O.H. of Burlington – est. 1903
The Goethe Lodge, known as the German Club, was organized in Burlington in 1891, received its Charter from the National Organization in 1905 and incorporated in the State of Vermont in that year.
In the early years the Club was a vibrant and well-attended social center for the neighborhood, which was primarily made up of people of German descent. Membership in the Club was restricted to men, and to become a member one must be a "German speaking male of German descent, of good moral character, at least sixteen years of age and capable of supporting a family."
Today, membership is open to all adults; the Germanic influence is minimal, and while no longer a social center for just the neighborhood, it now plays an important part in the social scene of a larger area. Dances and dance instruction classes are held virtually every night and are well attended.
Having weathered grim financial year s in the past, the Club is now in a position to contribute to the Salvation Army, COTS, the Sara Holbrook Center and Camp Ta-Kum-Ta. The Club plans to remain a fixture in the Burlington area for another 100 years.
International Advent Christian Conference of Newport Center – est. 1903
Hunt Cemetery Association of Tunbridge – est. 1904
Daughters of the Charity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus of Newport – est. 1905
The Daughters of the Charity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus were established as a religious congregation in a small town in France, in 1823. The founders were a young priest, Jean-Maurice Catroux, and Rose Giet, daughter of a farming family. Their mission was the education of children and caring for the sick in their homes. The Congregation spread in France, but under emerging anticlerical laws at the beginning of the 20th century, was prevented from teaching while representing itself as a religious order. These restrictions led the Sisters to look for opportunities to pursue their mission outside their native land.
When a request for help came from Father Clermont, the pastor of St. Mary Star of the Sea Church in Newport, Vermont, four Sisters were ready to answer the call - Sisters Aline de St-Laurent, St-Fernand, St-Edgard, and St-Gerard-Magella. Once settled in Newport, the Sisters began their work. They immediately began visiting the sick and caring for the elderly, but the strong emphasis was to establish a school. With the help of the entire community, Catholics and Protestants alike, the Sisters established a school in a converted horse barn.
Despite the serious lack of basic resources, the Sisters' work prospered, and more members of the Congregation left France and eventually joined the original four pioneers. Sacred Heart School moved into Green Mountain Hall, which had originally been a popular dance hall at the top of the hill near the junction of Prospect and Pleasant Streets, and conveniently adjacent to the parish rectory and church.
Sacred Heart High School enjoyed a reputation for excellence in academics, in the arts, and in sports. Its teachers were educated in the best of institutions and engaged the students in developing their best potential of gifts and talents for mathematics and science, drama and debate, literature and languages. The music department, in particular, ranked among the best of any in the state.
In the 1980's several developments successively followed in which the Sisters ultimately gave over the running of the school to a lay board with an ever-increasing ratio of lay teachers to supplement the decreasing number of Sisters. The high school eventually closed in June 1988 and the elementary school closed in August 2007.
Nowadays, the Sisters at Sacred Heart Convent continue their presence to the sick and elderly, and still continue their mission of prayer and presence among the people of the Northeast Kingdom. In recent years, since 1989, our religious Congregation has welcomed a new form of membership called the Associates to the Daughters of the Charity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. These are lay men and women who seek to deepen their spirituality and find kinship in the charism of the Daughters for their own lives.
The work of the original missionaries continues in familiar and new ways as the times and needs change. Challenges are outweighed by the rewards of belonging to a greater community of generous and dedicated folks of every faith persuasion and of every walk of life.
Holy Trinity Orthodox Church of Springfield – est. 1905
Founded in 1905 by St. Alexander Hotovitsky, a priest who was later martyred in communist Russia in the 1930's, Holy Trinity Church was also the site of the American Russian Orthodox orphanage in the early part of the 20th century. In the 1970's and 1980's the parish underwent spiritual and liturgical renewal. Several families joined a church that had been kept alive for decades by a group of very faithful parishioners.
A new alter and beautiful iconostatis were installed in the early 1980's. A social hall and kitchen were built in 1997. This added space has greatly enhanced the life of the community allowing for more educational programs and social events. Other building renovations have been made in recent years.
The parish has become home to many summertime Vermont residents. Okemo and Mt. Ascutney resorts are nearby. All services are in English. The parish always welcomes visitors and seeks out those who desire to know more about Christ and the Orthodox Church.
Green Mountain Club, Inc. – est. 1910
The Green Mountain Club and its approximately 9,500 members from across the country share a love for hiking and a commitment to preserving and protecting the Long Trail System for future generations.
Built by the Green Mountain Club between 1910 and 1930, the Long Trail is the oldest long-distance trail in the United States. The Long Trail follows the main ridge of the Green Mountains from the Massachusetts-Vermont line to the Canadian border as it crosses Vermont's highest peaks. The Long Trail itself comprises 270+ miles, while the entire Long Trail system, with side and spur trails, spans 445+ miles of adventure!
Lake Champlain Regional Chamber of Commerce – est. 1910
In 1910 the Lake Champlain Regional Chamber of Commerce came into being as the organization we know today. Its predecessor, the Burlington Board of Trade, existed as far back as 1889. The Chamber is the largest non-profit business membership organization in Vermont with 2500 members. The Burlington region has long attracted residents and companies alike. Our economy, commercial activity, rich cultural scene, and ideal physical location between Lake Champlain and the Green Mountains makes our mission an easy one: we advocate for a thriving private sector economy to benefit our members and the community through education, membership programs, and issue based advocacy.
To accomplish this goal, the Lake Champlain Chamber and its 34 staff members: provides socially responsible leadership to improve the region and state's economic environment; creates a coalition among business, education and government to address public policy issues and represents their interests in Montpelier via a Government Affairs team; positively promotes our region, tourism and its quality of life; provides its 2500 members with quality services that are responsive to their needs and that will enhance their ability to succeed. More than 87% of member businesses have 25 or fewer employees; engages and nurtures potential community leaders through Leadership Champlain, high school students through PILOT (Program to Inspire Leadership and Thought) and our newest program ExCEL (Excellence in Executive Leadership); fosters understanding and cross-cultural awareness through the Vermont Council on World Affairs; provides leadership and support through the Lake Champlain Workforce Investment Board (WIB) for a responsive workforce development system that aligns the region's workforce with educational curriculum and training resources.
As the Chamber begins its second century, it is happy to continue to have members vote with their time, treasure and talents to remain actively engaged with the Chamber. Some join to network with other businesses, others for the educational and leadership programs, and some for the legislative advocacy. This diversity is a strength and the Chamber enjoys meeting its members' needs across the spectrum. The Chamber looks forward to helping businesses thrive in Vermont for the next 100 years.
Riverside Grange No. 455 of West Topsham – est. 1910
Riverside Grange was organized in December 29, 1910 by A.E. Whitcomb with 41 Charter members. E. S. Locke was the first Master of riverside Grange with meetings being held in the Waits River School.
Records between 1910 to 1919 are incomplete. During 1920 and 1921 the Grange was dormant. Starting in 1926 meetings for the winter months were held in homes. In 1934, electric lights and a grange sign were installed at the hall.
In 1937 the Lecturer and other members broadcast a Lecturer's program over the radio. This same year members voted to start a building fund for a new hall. In the fall of 1952 the grange moved from Waits River school to the church vestry in East Orange. After much time and effort spent by George A. Richardson, the "White Rabbit" was purchased in February 1953 as the grange hall. The first meeting was held there on March 4, 1953 and in November 1954 a celebration for the Burning of the Mortgage took place.
In March, 1976 the grange purchased the West Topsham School for $11,000 and at the April 7, 1977 meeting, a Burning of the Mortgage ceremony took place.
Over the years community service has been very active. Riverside Grange has contributed to Vermont Camp Thorpe for crippled children, Cavalry Preventorium, Inc., Kurin Hattin Home, Vermont Children's Aid Society, Vermont Future Farmers of America, Salvation Army, Tri-Village Fire Department, Vermont TB & Health Association, local schools, Food Shelf, as well as assisting and volunteering in the community. Riverside Grange wrote and submitted several resolutions to the State Grange, received several awards and its members have won many National Grange contests.
Riverside Grange had the honor of having member Kermit Richardson elected to three National Grange offices: Lecturer, Overseer and Master.
Need help with a web site technical issue?
Questions regarding this page's content?
Please Contact us.