|VERMONT SECRETARY OF STATE - Jim Condos|
Vermont Centennial Nonprofit
A project of the Office of the Secretary of State
A project of the Office of the Secretary of State
Champion Fire Company of Londonderry – est. 1909
In the early 1880s the bucket brigade was not working very well and the people felt there had to be a better way to combat fires. So a group of people in the village of South Londonderry purchased an 1861 Hunneman hand pumper and formed an organized fire department. For many years this group operated the organization. On July 20, 1909, they received their articles of association from the State of Vermont and were officially recognized as a fire department devoted to the preservation of life and property in the Town of Londonderry, Vermont.
The original 1861 pumper is still owned by the Champion Fire Company and is seen annually in the Londonderry 4th of July parade. Over the years the fire company purchased more equipment, but by utilizing creativity and frugality, recycled many parts from the older models (before recycling was popular). In earlier years most purchases were funded with donations, but most recently we have successfully applied for grants to upgrade protective equipment, communications equipment and tools, keeping safety a priority to all.
Dover Center Cemetery Improvement Association – est. 1909
The Dover Center Cemetery was established by the town of Dover in 1793. A piece of property located at what is now 90 Holland Road was purchased from a Mr. Lee. Since then two additional pieces of property were given by Mr. Fred Holland.
In 1909 all of the cemeteries in Dover were privatized. This was no doubt brought on because of disrepair and neglect. On January 1, 1990, Articles of Association were filed with the Vermont Secretary of State, and signed on January 6, 1909, by Guy Bailey, Secretary of State, creating the Dover Center Cemetery Improvement Association.
Over the years the association has raised money to repair broken stones, have the cemetery mapped, and kept mowed. Money has been obtained through the sale of lots, bequeaths, donations, and fundraisers. We have a fund that we can only use the interest earned, but that is not a significant amount. We are very proud of the fact that the Dover Center Cemetery is the best kept cemetery in our town. We currently have it mowed five times a year, so at the current rate we have to earn $1,250 per year just to cover that. We sell tickets to the Deerfield Valley Farmer’s Day and hold a “Coffee Break” at the Vermont Welcome Center in Guilford. We have held food and rummage sales. Every couple of years we send out a mailing, requesting donations from lot owners and their families.
The first burial was in 1793. It is the largest cemetery in the town of Dover having over 500 stones. There are veterans from all wars except Desert Storm and Iraq buried there. Many original settlers of our town are buried there. There are many visits to the Dover Center Cemetery by people doing genealogy research.
Currently we are working on photographing all the stones and indexing them by their location on the map. Once that is done, we hope to record the epitaphs. Some are becoming increasingly difficult to read, especially on the marble stones.
Vermont Bankers Association – est. 1909
The Vermont Bankers Association is an organization that for over 100 years has endeavored to promote the general welfare and usefulness of banks and banking institutions to the state of Vermont and her citizens. The objectives of the association have been to represent the legislative interests of the banking industry at both the state and federal levels, provide services and programs to its membership, promote the banking industry to the public, and offer programs which fulfill the educational needs of the industry.
The lifeblood of the organization is the membership, without them there would be no association. Currently there are 21 banks and two independent trust companies that belong to the VBA. Membership dues for these organizations are based on deposits, or in the case of the trust companies, a minimum membership fee. There are also 50 associate members who belong to the VBA. They include lawyers, accountants, bank service organizations, and many others.
Bennington Park Lawn Cemetery – est. 1908
In 1908 ten area businessmen organized the Bennington Park Lawn Cemetery as a stock corporation with the intention of making money by selling burial lots. However the business was never very profitable. Over the years the cemetery has evolved into a nonprofit operation and adopted policies to conform to current Vermont law. The cemetery began with 80 acres of land purchased in 1908. A stone office building/chapel was built in 1912 and is still in use today.
Platt Memorial Library – est. 1823
The Shoreham Free Public Library (now known as Platt Memorial Library) began in 1823 in a small room in the “community” or “meeting” house on the commons. The library consisted of over 600 books donated by churches, organizations, and citizens. In 1906, Dr. Mary Mixer Platt donated a new library building in memory of her husband, Dr. William Platt, a long-time Shoreham physician. She served on the board of directors for many years and the Platt family continued its support of the library after her death. The Platt Memorial Library’s vital signs are good. The librarian, assistant librarian, trustees and volunteers take an active role in running the library including planning for special exhibits, community readings, film programs, and story hours. There is also a “Friends of the Library” group who generously give time to library work. As a result, Shoreham has a library of which the community can be proud.
Orleans County Historical Society – est. 1853
The Orleans County Historical Society is believed to be the oldest local historical society in Vermont. The first meeting was in Brownington on June 6, 1853. Alexander Twilight, principal of the Orleans County Grammar School, was one of the founding members. The early meetings often featured reports from the committees on various topics including the benefits of the study of natural sciences, and the history of the early settlement of the upper Missisco Valley. In 1916, the historical society became incorporated for the purpose of collecting and preserving whatever relates to the history of the county of Orleans. Subsequently, the group raised $500 to purchase the Old Stone House, originally built as a school dormitory by Alexander Twilight and targeted for demolition, and turned the building into a museum of regional history. Currently the Orleans County Historical Society maintains the museum and a historical research library. They also organize educational programs and events throughout the year for both children and adults.
St. Francis Xavier School – est. 1862
St. Francis Xavier School was founded in Winooski in 1862 to serve the growing population in this thriving mill town. Bishop Louis de Goesbriand of the newly established diocese in Burlington invited the Sisters of Providence of Montreal to come to Vermont to provide assistance to people in need. The school started in rented space and finally moved to the current location in 1966, making St. Francis Xavier the largest elementary school in Vermont at the time.
Currently, 160 students are enrolled, including children from Chittenden, Franklin, and Grand Isle counties, as well as students from Vietnam, Africa, India, and other parts of the world. The school has become a safe have for these children and families who are new to the country. St. Francis is also unique in that we have a tradition of enrolling second, third, and even fourth generations of families.
St. Francis Xavier will celebrate 150th anniversary in 2012. The school offers academic excellence for students from pre-kindergarten to eighth grade and is committed to a meeting the individual needs and ensuring the success of each student.
Home for Aged Women of St. Johnsbury (Sunset Home) – est. 1892
The Home for Aged Women of St. Johnsbury was organized in December of 1892 with a board of five trustees for the purpose of carrying for the town’s elderly women. Measures were immediately taken for the acceptance of property which had been offered as a gift. This included the house and lot on Prospect Street, formerly the home of Judge Poland. Suitable repairs and alterations were made and the home was opened for applicants in 1893. At that time the admission fee was $100. In 1898 the name of the facility was changed to Sunset Home, which is still in use. The facility, still located on Prospect Street, strives to provide a home-like atmosphere to its guests.
Blake Memorial Library – est. 1893
In the early 1890s, three young men, Charles Page, Bert Holland, Sr., and Ruthven Rowland, decided the town of East Corinth needed a library. After locating and preparing a room to use, they pushed a wheelbarrow around town collecting books. These three men, and others who joined them, were informally organized as the East Corinth Library Association. Throughout the decade, by holding dances and other community events, they raised money and moved the collection around as it grew and as circumstances necessitated, until they eventually found a permanent home for the library in 1900. Since then, the Blake Memorial Library Association has tried its hardest to carry on their legacy of commitment to literacy and community.
Vermont Maple Sugar Makers’ Association – est. 1893
The Vermont Maple Sugar Makers’ Association was organized in January 1893 in Morrisville, Vermont, to protect and promote Vermont maple syrup, to maintain its high quality and to work on its behalf with the State of Vermont and other complementary organizations. Today, the Vermont Maple Sugar Makers’ Association serves over 750 members, from the small backyard producer to the large producer, by sponsoring continuing education, as an advocate for the Vermont maple industry, by providing financial assistance to maple research, and promotion of Vermont maple syrup. We also offer many supplies and benefits to our members at discounted rates.
Fanny Allen Hospital, Hotel Dieu – est. 1894
The Fanny Allen Hospital was founded in 1894 by the Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph of Montreal at the request of Bishop Michaud who wanted to establish a Catholic hospital in the Burlington diocese. Fanny Allen Hospital took its name from Margaret Frances Allen, daughter of Vermont’s legendary hero, Ethan Allen. Frances Margaret, known as Fanny Allen, converted to Catholicism and joined the Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph in Montreal in 1808. The first five sisters arrived in May 1894 to the Dunbar Hotel. In October, after months of cleaning and repairing the wooden building, the first patients were admitted. For 115 years, the Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph carried on their mission of service to the sick and poor in Vermont, expanding its services and adapting to emerging health care needs in the community.
In 1995 the Fanny Allen Hospital merged with the University Health Center and the Medical Center Hospital of Vermont, in alliance with the University of Vermont, retaining its Catholic heritage and presence.
In 2008 the Religious Hospitallers of St. Joseph transferred its sponsorship responsibilities to Covenant Health Systems, thereby ensuring the viability of a long tradition of a Catholic presence and healing in Vermont. Through the establishment of the Fanny Allen Corporation Foundation, the sisters partner with more than 50 organizations and agencies who share a mutual commitment to improve the quality of life and promote healthier communities for those in need.
Gilbert Hart Library – est. 1894
The Gilbert Hart Library was given to the Town of Wallingford in 1894 by Gilbert Hart--whose grandfather, Amasa Hart, was one of the early town settlers who moved to Vermont from Wallingford, Connecticut. The library is one of the state's oldest libraries donated by a benefactor. The library, built in the neo-classical style, is considered to be one of the finest proportioned buildings in southern Vermont. In 1910, Mr. Hart sponsored an addition to the original building in order to provide a children's room. He specified that there be small, high windows in order to provide wall space for pictures and maps especially for the children. In 1940, Birney Batcheller, an inventor and long-time president of the library association, almost doubled the library's size with an addition at the back for a stack room over a basement meeting room and storage area. In 2003, another addition sponsored by local residents and private and state grants made the library handicapped-accessible, upgraded the old electric and heating systems, and provided more room by opening the large unused area about the stack room as a mezzanine. The mezzanine now houses the adult non-fiction books. Our latest endeavor is to automate library services. We hope to accomplish that goal in early 2010.
T.W. Wood Gallery and Arts Center – est. 1895
The T. W. Wood Gallery & Arts Center in Montpelier houses one of the largest permanent collections in the state. In addition to the works of T.W. Wood and many of his artistic colleagues and contemporaries, we are also the repository for Vermont's portion of the federal WPA collection.
T. W. Wood, a local artist, made plans to leave a collection of paintings to the people of Montpelier. After some complicated negotiations, Wood's proposal was accepted and on August 8, 1895, the Wood Gallery of Art was created by a deed of gift in trust of 42 paintings, watercolors and etchings for the city of Montpelier. In 1896, Wood's friend Professor John W. Burgess felt the gallery deserved its own building and financed the purchase of property on State Street (part of the site of today's Capitol Plaza), renovated the existing building and added a fireproof addition. The gallery had its opening reception in its new building on July 27, 1897.
The original gift
of 42 works of art began to grow almost immediately. Soon Wood donated more
of his work including copies of many of the Great Masters which Wood had
painted for the edification of his fellow Vermonters. His friendships with
other artists of his day were reflected in gifts from Frederick S. Church,
Asher B. Durand, William Beard, J. G. Brown and many others. Upon Wood's
death in 1903, the bulk of his estate and work were left to the gallery.
In addition to hosting Vermont College's Master of Fine Art-Visual twice a year, the permanent collection is stored and presented along with changing exhibitions of contemporary art. The gallery also provides a venue for concerts, lectures and a variety of events while continuing to maintain Vermont's artistic heritage and presenting the finest in the visual arts today.
Gill Odd Fellows Home of Vermont – est. 1896
The Gill Odd Fellows Home opened in May, 1896 in a former summer hotel that Mr. James S. Gill donated to the Grand Lodge of Vermont, IOOF to be used as a home for members of the Order and their spouses. In 1972 a modern structure was constructed on the property and the old building razed. The doors were opened to nonmembers of the Order in 1973. The present Home is licensed for 56 beds, Levels I and II. The Home looks to provide a residence that inspires warmth, comfort and safety while celebrating the continuation of community, family and life.
Pine Grove Cemetery Association – est. 1896
Rutland Regional Medical Center – est. 1896
Established in 1896, Rutland Regional Medical Center is the second largest hospital in Vermont. Offering high-tech care with a hometown touch, Rutland Regional boasts the latest in diagnostic imaging services, including CT, MRI, and PET scanning, cancer care, Vermont’s first nationally-certified sleep disorders center along with orthopaedics and joint replacements. More than 190 of the area’s finest physicians in 37 specialty areas provide expert care with a personal touch to our community.
First Universalist Parish of Derby Line – est. 1897
The church of the First Universalist Parish of Derby Line was built in 1839-1840 and was the only church in the area at that time. It was known as the Derby Line Free Church and was controlled by the majority of pew holders. In 1888 a church member, Mr. Austin T. Foster, raised the money to buy out the interest of all non-Universalists. Since then the church denomination was Universalist. On August 10, 1897, articles of association were established. Together with the adjacent parsonage built in 1830, the church is a landmark in the downtown of Derby Line, representing two of the few buildings remaining from the first half of the 19th century.
Jericho Center Cemetery Association – est. 1897
The Jericho Center Cemetery Association was created in 1897 for the purpose of buying and holding lands for cemetery purposes and for the purpose of maintaining, caring for, and beautifying the same. The original burying ground was established in 1804 on two acres donated to the town by long-time resident Lewis Chapin. The association was created in 1897 to manage the cemetery through the sale of plots and from donations. Over the years the association acquired lands adjacent to the original two-acre burying ground, quadrupling the size to over eight acres. Important town residents buried in the Jericho Center Cemetery include the Jordan brothers who opened the first store in Jericho Center that is still in operation today at the original site, over 200 years later. Wilson “Snowflake” Bentley, famous photographer of thousands of snowflakes, is also buried there.
Mark Skinner Library – est. 1897
Christian Science Society – est. 1898
The First Church of Christ, Scientist in St. Johnsbury, VT was incorporated in 1898. Along with Christian Science churches all around the world, we continue to worship one loving God and devote ourselves to learning and practicing the words and works of Christ Jesus. Although the congregation was small at first, it rapidly grew until, in 1917, it purchased the large Queen Ann Victorian gothic church (with its stained glass windows, tall octagonal steeple and 8 roof slopes) on Main Street, built by the Baptists in 1882. We have been in this lovely historic building ever since; it is now in the National Register of Historic Places and is also part of the St. Johnsbury historic district. We no longer need such a large place for worship and are hoping to donate the building to a non profit organization in our community.
Crescendo Club Library Association – est. 1898
The Varnum Memorial Library is owned and operated by the Crescendo Club Library Association. The club has been serving Cambridge and the surrounding communities since 1898. The club met in the living rooms of private homes for about 20 years, then in churches until Mrs. Varnum gave her home to the club upon her death in the 1920s. The house was sold and the current building was built in 1938, with an addition built in 2006. A trust fund provides for the purchase of books. Appropriations from the town of Cambridge, funds raised by club members and private donations are used to maintain and operate the library.
Enosburg Falls Main Street Cemetery Association – est. 1898
Goodrich Memorial Library – est. 1898
Plans for the Goodrich Memorial Library were mapped out in 1896, when the late C. G. Goodrich and his wife made provisions that they would leave a piece of property to found and maintain a free public library in Newport. Mr. Goodrich came to Vermont from New Hampshire when he was 11. Born in 1820, he was a school teacher and a farmer before coming to Newport as a merchant. During his residence of over 45 years, he held several public positions, serving as constable, collector of taxes, and superintendent of schools for the town. He was also a justice of the peace for over 35 years. The late Mrs. Goodrich, too, was active in civic affairs.
Building operations were begun in the spring of 1898 on an edifice of brick with stone trimmings. The structure provided for book space, two public reading rooms and a librarian's room downstairs, ample basement room, second-floor art room, trustees room, conversation room, and assembly hall to be used for educational purposes. Unfortunately, both Mr. and Mrs. Goodrich passed away before the library was dedicated on September 1, 1899.
The library opened with an inventory of about 6,500 books. At present there are over 10,000 books, including some rare volumes. From time to time the library has received small legacies. Among the donors were J. H. Kirkpatrick, Dr. J. H. Gaines, the W. W. True estate, and the Fred Blake memorial. The upkeep of the library is maintained by the above, by the provisions of the donor, and the yearly appropriations of the Town and City of Newport.
The story of the library is not too different from the average institution of that type. The books are cared for year after year, and the librarians develop a larger than ever capacity for hard work and patience. One of the darker moments of the library was during the depression, when stock invested by Mr. Goodrich was rendered worthless in the bank crash. In 1933 a thief broke into the museum and departed with most of the gold of the coin collection which was given the library by Judge Riley Wright. The thief later served his term in prison.
The present trustees have completed a major ADA and restoration program which included the installation of a new lift at the rear of the building, new bookshelves in the stack room, new carpeting throughout the building and, after a period of being absent, the original library desk.
On November 23, 1983, the library was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.
Manchester Historical Society – est. 1898
The Manchester Historical Society was founded in 1897 by 26 Manchester citizens and summer residents, and Articles of Association were certified by Chauncey Brownell, Secretary of State, in September 1898. The historical society sparked an interest in making written records of events, families, and places of the past, beginning in 1897 when Mrs. Harmon Collins wrote a letter describing Manchester Village from about 1820 to 1849, and later doing the same for Factory Point, now Manchester Center. Other writings followed but the first comprehensive history, Manchester, Vermont: A Pleasant Land Among the Mountains, 1761-1961, written by Edwin L. Bigelow and Nancy H. Otis, was published in 1961 in association with the Manchester Bicentennial.
Artifacts are a major component of our collection. The society’s first artifact was a powder horn found in a local field, followed by cannonball believed to be from the War of 1812. The society’s first print accession came in 1901 when issues of the Vermont Gazette from 1796 to 1825 were purchased from Mr. William Lathrop, then the principal antiquarian in Manchester.
In 1929 members of the Manchester Historical Society agreed to write a history of Manchester and to raise funds to build its own building. Nothing came of this for the next 23 years. Finally, in 1952, 17 residents reorganized the society.
The collection is currently housed in the basement of the Mark Skinner Library. But the dream of a real home is finally within grasp as a revitalized Manchester Historical society board of directors has received the gift of an historic home on Route 7A South in Manchester Village and plans are underway for its renovation. Monthly education programs, community walks, displays at the town hall, and preparations for the future remain the focus of the Manchester Historical Society.
Moore Free Library Association – est. 1898
The Moore Free Library was the creation of a generous and public-spirited lady in the nineteenth century. Mrs. Philura C. Moore, widow of a well-to-do drover, doubled the size of her little house in 1898, and promptly turned part of it into the library which the town needed so badly. She acted as the librarian as well as supplying the books, the fittings and furniture. A few years later, a private charitable trust called the Moore Free Library Association was formally established. To this trust, Mrs. Moore turned over the books, the library furnishings and money, and later her entire house. Most of her residual estate remains in trust to this day for the library's benefit.
Mrs. Moore's spirit of generosity has not diminished over the years, for the Moore Free Library has expanded and flourished entirely by virtue of private voluntary donations. It serves the citizens of the Newfane community with a collection of five thousand books, numerous magazines, a librarian in attendance and a special reading room for children. It sponsors concerts, an annual art show, story hours for children, an annual scholarship, school prizes, children's drama workshops, free books for school children, and it maintains an outdoor museum several hundred yards up West Street.
Mountain View Country Club – est. 1898
Mountain View Country Club of Greensboro, Vermont, founded in 1898, is the oldest golf and tennis club in Vermont in its original location. It was founded by summer visitors at Caspian Lake during the great surge of awareness in leisure time and growing national interest in golf and tennis. Volunteers removed rocks and trees to form fairways and greens. The first dues were 50 cents per member. It remains one of the finest 9-hole gems in the state, with the very best clay tennis court. MVCC remains a private club with members of the public welcome.
Tenney Memorial Library – est. 1898
Tyson Congregational Church – est. 1898
Weybridge Cemetery Association – est.
Need help with a web site technical issue?
Questions regarding this page's content?
Please Contact us.