|VERMONT SECRETARY OF STATE - Jim Condos|
Vermont Centennial Nonprofit
A project of the Office of the Secretary of State
A project of the Office of the Secretary of State
Vermont Centennial Nonprofit
Branchview Cemetery Association – est. 1908
Camp Billing, Inc. –
Our mission is: “ To help young people develop physically, socially,
mentally, and spiritually, thereby helping them to become mature,
responsible adults and citizens in a democratic society. To offer these
privileges to all persons, regardless of race, creed, sex, color, or
national origin.” Incorporated in 1908 and operating since 1906 at our
beautiful Lake Fairlee site, we provide a true “second home” to campers –
many attend for 10+ sessions, as campers and then as staff. Campers must
take swimming lessons and do cabin chores, but then are free to get into the
many activities offered, or fish, or daydream. Above all, they have fun.
First Baptist Church of Bristol – est. 1794
The First Baptist Church of Bristol began in 1794 with the baptism of nine people in a cold river by an itinerant evangelist. The meetinghouse was built on the Bristol village green 25 years later in cooperation with two other local congregations, and in 1840 was purchased by the Baptists. In 1925, the congregation thrived, with a huge Bible study and growing men’s ministry; much work was done at that time to the building including adding the stained glass windows. Thirty years ago, another wing devoted to children’s ministry was added. Of the 64 pastors who have served over the years, one was paid in chairs, and another in chickens! The current pastor, Rev. Michael Kroll has served for 22 years, and has had the longest tenure.
Throughout its 214 year history, the Bristol church has had periods of triumph and struggle, but has been faithful to its mission. It has been known as a church devoted to domestic and international mission support, with a women’s mission group called Treasure Seekers continually in place for more than 100 years. The people have a deep rooted love for children in Bristol and around the world which expresses itself in a vibrant Vacation Bible School each summer, enthusiastic support for the work of Church World Service and Operation Christmas Child, and many other projects.
While a tiny congregation of only about 35 members, since 2003 First Baptist Bristol has been the founding sponsor for a growing international aid organization called Village2Village Project that cares for more than 60 orphans and 10 HIV+ adults in rural northeastern Uganda…twice the number of its membership!
First Universalist Church of Barre – est. 1796
From the original sixteen men who organized the First Universalist Society in 1796, to the present membership which is several times that, the years have seen growth, change, and continued dedication to the principles first promulgated by John Murray, father of Universalism. Over the years the church has started many service groups, several are still active today. Activities for children have always been of prime importance as evidenced by these words in the charge to Franklin Bliss, minister from 1857-1872, “…look after the children, get them to Sunday School…” Today there is church school, nursery care, and a youth group.
Barre Congregational Church – est. 1799
On November 14, 1799 (while George Washington was still living) six men and six women took time out from clearing the wilderness in Barre to gather in a log cabin to sign the covenant which created the Barre Congregational Church. In 1804 they began to build a meeting house that resembled those in Southern New England from whence they came. When it was completed in 1808 it was the grandest building in town and the area became known as Gospel Village. By 1840 the center of town activity had developed one-quarter mile down the street and the congregation voted to move. There, building a new brick edifice with a white wooden steeple. Opposite what is now Barre City Park, the church has remained on the same site for 168 years undergoing a complete rebuilding in 1887 and a new addition in 1999. During its 209 years in Barre, the Congregational Church has played a pivotal role in the spiritual and social life of the area.
President and Fellows
of Middlebury College – est. 1800
Middlebury was the first American college to graduate a black man (Alexander Twilight of Corinth, in 1823) and one of the first to go co-ed (in 1883). Today it is a leading liberal arts college with 2,350 students on a sprawling hillside campus. With “Liberal Arts, Global Action” as its guide, the college is renowned for excellence in foreign language education, international studies, the sciences, humanities, environmental stewardship, and creativity and innovation.
Middlebury College also comprises the summer Language Schools in 10 languages; the Bread Loaf School of English in Ripton, Vt., Santa Fe, N.M., Asheville, N.C., and Oxford, England; Schools Abroad in 12 countries; and the Bread Loaf Writer’s Conference. It is affiliated with the Monterey (Calif.) Institute of International Studies, and in 2008 co-founded the Middlebury-Monterey Language Academy, a summer program for pre-college students.
Bethany Church, United Church of Christ – est. 1808
Bethany’s first minister, the Reverend Chester Wright, was known in the community as a “moral Hercules” for his attempts to bring the “rowdy” town under some control. He was also involved in the underground railroad in Montpelier.
As home of one of Montpelier’s soup kitchen and meeting space for many area nonprofit organizations, Bethany Church continues to play an active role in the community.
Lyndon Center Free
Baptist Church – est. 1843
Lyndon Center Free Baptist Church from its beginnings in the early 1800s has committed to a biblical perspective of the world and eternal life through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, Lord of the Church. Through the years it has had a strong mission emphasis evidenced by the financial support of many missionaries and mission organizations. In 1866, a school was initiated by the church which later became what is now known as Lyndon Institute, an independent high school that serves the community and non-local students including students from several foreign countries.
The primary function at present is to conduct weekly worship services with emphasis on worship through hymns, praise, and exposition of the Bible as God’s inspired word. Special events such as summer vacation bible school and guest musicians are offered to the community. Keeping the buildings in good repair is also a matter of continuing attention. It is the strong desire and prayer of the congregation to welcome new people with the goal of building up the congregation to impact this generation for Christ.
Wells River Library
Association – est. 1849
South Congregational Church of St. Johnsbury – est. 1851
The single greatest contribution to our region came from its pool of talent, especially in the areas of community education, charity, and the arts, to which the church remains committed. South Church subsequently flourished, offering vital support for the Academy as it grew, while the Academy fed the church with generations of leaders dedicated to their professions and to the quality of life of the residents of St. Johnsbury and of the State of Vermont. It provided a spiritual home away from home for Academy students, like Calvin Coolidge, whereas many of its native sons and daughters, such as the late Graham Newell, went on to serve this community, and others across the land, with distinction.
South Congregational Church offered the early Scouting movement robust, chartered sponsorship, promoted the leadership of women, and led in the organization of the Food Shelf with related networks of much-needed aid. We have always worked ecumenically and partnered closely with local agencies, organizations, and concerned persons to bring timely help wherever we can.
The St. Albans
Cemetery Association – est. 1852
Those buried here represent the history of the St. Albans area. The names on the stones represent most of the streets in the city of St. Albans and other prominent locations.
The workers take pride in the care and maintenance of the grounds and welcome all those who wish to visit.
Roman Catholic Diocese of Burlington, Vermont – est. 1853
Education efforts are evident in our system of Catholic schools, sixteen in all. Also, all parishes offer programs of religious education. Four elder care homes are operated by the diocese in Burlington, Rutland, and Derby Line. These are level three care homes, providing for approximately 150 elders. Vermont Catholic Charities is the social service arm of the diocese, offering counseling services, marriage and family programs, leadership in justice issues, and operating emergency aid programs. The diocese has contributed greatly to the wellbeing of Vermonters for 155 years.
Whitingham Ladies Benevolent Society – est. 1858
We still continue to do the white cross work for the Baptist Ministries, sending bandages or money to countries overseas, school supplies, clothing, and Christmas items to mission schools. Locally we give to the Guy Hawkins cancer fund, the food pantry, the Gathering Place, the food bank, and friends and neighbors in need. We prefer to give to local organizations, including many state charities in memory of people. We serve refreshments following funeral services at no cost to the family. We also help students with their internship needs, and with hot lunches.
Two of our bylaws that are appropriate to what we’re all about are: “It shall be the object of the Society to raise funds to be spent for any benevolent purpose which the society may direct.” And “There shall be no evil speaking at the meetings of this society. But our motto shall be malice toward none and charity for all.”
The Unitarian Church of Montpelier – est. 1864
The church is used throughout the year for many community events and is especially desirable for concerts due to the excellent acoustics of the sanctuary. Some of the community events presented include the annual Holiday Fair, Community Carol Sing, Clarke Lecture Series (lectures on some aspect of nature very popular with the community).
The Unitarian Church is independent and self governing and is proud to be a member of the Montpelier Community and to be a resource for various events for the people of Montpelier.
Lyndon Institute – est. 1867
In 1923, the school officially became Lyndon Institute. From 1923 to 1951, the Institute provided both secondary and post-secondary educational programs to area students. In 1951, the post-secondary programs became Lyndon State College.
Orleans County Fair Association – est. 1867
With the continued support of our community, state and many visitors we intend to provide a meeting place for a wide variety of events that will keep people coming back to the Orleans County Fairgrounds for years to come!
Union Agricultural Society (Tunbridge Fair) – est. 1867
First Baptist Church
of Brattleboro – est. 1870
In June, 1866, a lot on Main Street was bought and the foundation laid for the present church building; the edifice was dedicated in December of 1870. During the 1950's and 1960’s renovations prepared the church building and educational/fellowship (Holton Hall) facilities for better service to the needs of the Brattleboro community. During the 1980s the third floor of Holton Hall was converted for use by the ecumenically-sponsored Brattleboro Pastoral Counseling Center, and also a meeting place for Alcoholics Anonymous. An evening soup kitchen, Grace’s Kitchen, was established in 2005 and now serves upwards of fifty hungry homeless or at risk people with food, fellowship, participatory music, and a follow-up informal worship service each week.
In January 2008 First Baptist opened its doors to serve as a Winter Overflow Emergency Shelter which provided 679 bed nights of shelter to 49 unduplicated homeless adults during the winter months. The Overflow Shelter, which is operated in conjunction with the Brattleboro Interfaith Clergy Association, Morningside House Homeless Shelter, and the Brattleboro Area Drop In Center, will re-open this winter as the weather worsens.
First Baptist also has an active program of music for youth and reaches out to the low income community in Brattleboro to provide opportunities for music to our youth. The church has also in the past year participated twice in Brattleboro’s monthly community wide art exhibit, Gallery Walk, and is now doing a monthly community lunch which is aimed at senior citizens and provides music and door prizes and a way for folks who may be isolated to socialize.
First Baptist is a growing church continuing to be dedicated to serving our community in concrete ways as we seek to spread our faith by our deeds as well as our words.
Poplar Hill Cemetery Association – est. 1872
The cemetery is near the little hamlet of North Montpelier just over Calais town line. Most of the original members of the association lived in East Montpelier in and around North Montpelier. The new cemetery was added to an established burial ground where some of the oldest burials went back to the 1820s. Most of the people buried here lived in East Montpelier.
The original price for a four-lot plot was $7.25. This price remained until the mid-1980s when it was raised to $150. It had to be the best real estate deal in Central Vermont!
Saint Mary Star of the Sea Parish – est. 1873
Overlooking our “beautiful waters,” Lake Memphremagog, Romanesque in style, its interior paintings, scenes from the old and new testaments, were recreated by N.O. Rochon, a local artist here at the time, from the originals of the French artist Tissaud, who had given permission to use his famous works.
Never locked during the day time, our church is open always for public viewing by people interested in the arts and architecture as well as for worship. We are often visited by tourists and college students, especially in the summer and fall.
Sisters of St. Joseph of Rutland – est. 1873
Windham County Humane Society – est. 1887
WCHS provides a number of services and programs to help both the animals and the residents of Windham County. We shelter homeless cats, dogs and small animals, accept owner surrendered pets, provide adoption services, provide medical care when necessary, reunite lost pets with their owners, provide food assistance for needy pet owners, sponsor low-cost spay/neuter and rabies clinics, and investigate animal cruelty and neglect.
WCHS receives no state or federal funding. We rely solely on donations, grants, fundraising and local appropriations. All proceeds from the second annual Windham County Humane Society Art at the Barn event will benefit our community programs and help ensure that all of the animals leaving our facility are healthy, happy and spayed or neutered.
Lake View Cemetery Association, Inc., - est. 1890
In 1890, when the cemetery was incorporated, it contained two acres. In 1915, the cemetery purchased one more acre of land for a total of 3.02 acres. A few lots are still available so that extra acre was sufficient for almost a century. Apple orchards surround the cemetery and the view to Lake Champlain is spectacular. Lucy Barnum was right!
Vermont Society of the Sons of the American Revolution – est. 1890
Members must be a lineal descendant of an ancestor who supported the cause of American independence during the years 1774-1783.
Vermont State Firefighters Association – est. 1890
The association has a long and rich history of serving the interests of the firefighters in the state. Over the years the association has been the driving force for many of the states fire related laws and has acted as the birthplace for many of the fire related programs that firefighters in the state know today. The association continues to work hard to identify and address the needs of the firefighters in Vermont’s rural fire departments.
The association has over 5,000 members (active and retired fire and rescue personnel) throughout the entire state. Our diverse membership allows the VSFA to capitalize on the technical expertise and special skills that firefighters have to support our mission of providing for the improvement of the fire service and the general enhancement of public safety in the state.
Holton Home – est.
Eventually re-named for Dr. Henry Holton, the physician and State Senator who was instrumental in the Home’s creation and served as its first president, the Home was “designed primarily to furnish, at a moderate expense, a comfortable and congenial home for people of good character and habits, who, through death or misfortune, are left in advancing age and infirmities with limited means and without suitable homes, care and companionship.”
Now licensed as a residential care home, Holton Home serves 29 elders with personal care, nursing oversight, medication management, meals, activities and transportation. Holton Home continues to operate out of the original farmhouse and the large Greek revival stone addition built in 1903. Several major renovations over recent years provide the amenities today’s seniors need.
After 116 years of service to our community, the growing senior population and trend toward nursing care delivery in more home-like settings means Holton Home continues to hold an important place in our community.
Need help with a web site technical issue?
Questions regarding this page's content?
Please Contact us.