|VERMONT SECRETARY OF STATE - Jim Condos|
Vermont Centennial Nonprofit
A project of the Office of the Secretary of State
A project of the Office of the Secretary of State
Congratulations to the 2011 Centennial Nonprofit Winners!
Centennial Nonprofit Awards program honors Vermont's oldest nonprofits. Any
nonprofit that has operated continuously for 100 years or more in Vermont is
eligible to participate in the Centennial Awards program.
On March 14, 2012, twenty-nine centennial nonprofits operating in Vermont were honored at a ceremony at the Vermont State House. Every centennial nonprofit that applies to participate will be recognized in future years.
The recipients of the 2011 Vermont Centennial Nonprofit Awards are listed below.
2011 Vermont Centennial Nonprofit Award Recipients
Est. 1911 Lyndon State College
Est. 1911 - Lyndon State College
Lyndon State College prepares every one of their 1,400 students for personal and professional success through an array of experiential, high quality programs in the liberal arts and professional studies. LSC's focus is the entire spectrum of academic opportunities both in the classroom and out. The college has talented institutional faculty and student leadership, a strong community base, active alumni and an unusually healthy endowment for a small public college. Lyndon serves as the Northeast Kingdom's cultural, economic and educational hub, especially in its dedication to serving first in family college students and for its commitment to the region's business community and workforce.
Est. 1910 First Baptist Church of South Londonderry
The Baptist Church in South Londonderry has strived to serve Jesus Christ and the community for over 200 years. The worshipped in a brick meetinghouse built in 1834, and up until 2010 when the church was destroyed by a fire. Since the fire, they have been encouraged to see how God has continued to work in their community. They are currently working on rebuilding. Their plans have been completed and they hope to begin construction within the next year. As they plan for their new building, it is their hope and prayer that they will continue to be a vital part of their community.
Est. 1904 Montpelier Lodge of Elks No. 924
The Elks is an organization of citizens who love their country and desire to preserve its cherished institutions. The Montpelier Elks was granted its charter in 1904. The Lodge has had three homes in its history. The first was on State Street, then on Barre Street for 52 years, and currently resides on Country Club Road, since 1962. Our charitable work supports many youth activities, veterans' programs and community projects. They provide scholarships for college, Girls/Boys State and youth conservation camps. Our state project is Silver Towers Camp, a summer residential camp located in Ripton, Vermont for exceptional people. Our motto is Elks Care/Elks Share.
Est. 1904 VT Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, Brattleboro
In 1904, after retiring in Brattleboro, U.S. Army Colonel William Austine left a generous bequest that became the seed for a special school for Vermont's blind and deaf students. That same year, the Vermont Legislature chartered the Austine Sanatorium, which in 1908 would become rechristened the Austine School. The school opened to students in 1912. Over 100 years later, the Vermont Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing encompasses the Austine School, regional classrooms, consultant services for mainstreamed students, parent-infant programs, family mentoring programs, adult services and numerous other support options, serving over 4,000 Vermonters annually.
Est. 1897 Mark Skinner Library, Manchester
The Mark Skinner Library was founded in 1897, and is the largest public library serving Manchester and 30 surrounding communities in Southwestern Vermont. They are committed to serving the lifelong journey of learning by providing information and opportunities for personal enrichment and enjoyment to people of all ages in the community. For most of their history, the library was governed and operated as a private library. In 2003, the library was converted to Manchester's public library, supported by taxpayer funds, private donations, endowment distributions and fundraising. To meet the needs of both current and future patrons, and to serve an even more vital role as a cornerstone of the community, they are embarking on a capital campaign to build a new 21st Century facility with expanded programming and services, enhanced technology and accessible to all.
Est. 1889 Vermont State Firefighters' Association
The Vermont State Firefighters' Association formed in 1889 and became incorporated in 1890 by Legislative Act 148 by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont. Their mission over the years has been to help all fire departments, career or voluntary, so they in turn can help their community with fire suppression, prevention and education. They are the only fire association in the state that offers membership to all firefighters regardless of rank, age, career or volunteer status. We welcome everyone. The Vermont State Firefighters' Association realized the need to train youth who are involved in their local fire departments. They offer a youth fire cadet academy for all cadets in the state between the ages of 14 and 17. Over 576 cadets have graduated from this academy in the last 11 years. They are proud to serve their communities and the State of Vermont.
Est. 1884 Vermont Veterans' Home, Bennington
Chartered in 1884, the Soldiers Home opened its doors to 25 veterans of the Civil War in 1887. In 1954, women veterans, spouses and widows of veterans were approved for admission; in 1999, gold star parents. In 1971, it was renamed the Vermont Veterans' Home. Within their 17-acre cemetery, a one-acre section is dedicated to Civil War Veterans. After a series of renovations, the latest in November 2011 with completion of the geothermal project that has increased energy efficiency, the Vermont Veterans' Home, a 77-bed facility on 87 of the original 200 acres continues "fulfilling the promise to our veterans."Chartered in 1884, the Soldiers Home opened its doors to 25 veterans of the Civil War in 1887. In 1954, women veterans, spouses and widows of veterans were approved for admission; in 1999, gold star parents. In 1971, it was renamed the Vermont Veterans’ Home. Within their 17-acre cemetery, a one-acre section is dedicated to Civil War Veterans. After a series of renovations, the latest in November 2011 with completion of the geothermal project that has increased energy efficiency, the Vermont Veterans’ Home, a 77-bed facility on 87 of the original 200 acres continues “fulfilling the promise to our veterans.”
Est. 1878 Vermont Bar Association
Founded in September 1878 in Montpelier, the Vermont Bar Association remains the only professional organization for lawyers, judges, paralegals and law students in Vermont. The association provides many services for its members and the public. It is continuously studying and advocating for reforms in the law, advancing the professional excellence of its membership, advocating for a fair and impartial judiciary, supporting equal access to justice for all Vermonters, as well as educating the public about the law and its impact on their lives. The association represents its members in the profession before the executive, judicial and legislative branches of state government, and works with our federal delegation in Washington D.C. on issues of local and national interest.
Est. 1871 St. Johnsbury Athenaeum
The St. Johnsbury Athenaeum is the legacy of the Fairbanks family who were the inventors and manufacturers of the platform scale. Due to their business successes and philanthropy during the late 19th Century, the family created the Fairbanks Museum & Planetarium, St. Johnsbury Academy, North and South Congregational Churches and the St. Johnsbury Athenaeum. The family also produced two of Vermont's governors, one of which was the founder of our institution. In 1871, Horace Fairbanks gave "the people of St. Johnsbury" a library that housed a collection of 9,000 finely-bound books. These were selected by bibliographer William F. Poole. In 1873, an art gallery was added to the building. The gallery has paintings by artists of the Hudson River School, including Jasper Cropsey, Asher B. Durand, Sanford Gifford and Worthington Whittredge. A prominent painting in the gallery is Albert Bierstadt's Domes of the Yosemite, one of the most famous paintings in America. The library and gallery were designed by John Davis Hatch III in the Second Empire Style and built by Lambert Packard. In 1996, the athenaeum was designated as a national, historic landmark.
Est. 1870 Goddard College, Plainfield
Founded as the Green Mountain Central Institute in 1863 and becoming the Goddard Seminary in 1870, Goddard College was ultimately chartered in 1938 at its Plainfield, Vermont campus by founding President Royce "Tim" Pitkin. In 1963, Goddard became the first U.S. college to offer adult degree programs. Today, the college offers accredited degree programs from campuses in Plainfield, Vermont and Seattle and Port Townsend, Washington. Goddard's low-residency, student-centered model of education set the standard for distance learning programs across the country. Goddard's mission is to advance cultures of rigorous inquiry, collaboration and lifelong learning, where individuals take imaginative and responsible action in the world.
Est. 1867 Union Agricultural Society (Tunbridge Fair)
The Tunbridge Fair began in a North Tunbridge cow pasture. Six years later, in 1867, the first fair society established a more permanent fair. The guest orator for that fair, Lt. Gov. Burnham Martin referred to the event as "the little World's Fair." The following year, the directors dropped the "little." And it's been called the Tunbridge World's Fair ever since. In 1875, the fair was first held on its present grounds as a two-day event. In the early years, most fairgoers were rural people from the Central Vermont area. As working habits evolved, it became necessary to change the fair dates in 1962 to include the weekend. In an attempt to attract more customers, the fair was expanded to four days in 1970. Many agricultural traditions are honored and current farming ideals are supported, such as diversification, organics and sustainability. The fair is still a source of pride to competing exhibitors, as well as a welcome release from the stresses of everyday life. The renewal of friendships, tall tales, good music, amusements and fair food continue to create a true country fair, still going strong after all these years.
Est. 1866 Greater Burlington YMCA
The Greater Burlington Y was founded in 1866 as the Burlington Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA). In 1929, after the loss of two buildings to fire, the YMCA and local community raised funds for a new YMCA at 266 College Street, opening in 1934. The new building housed a gym, indoor pool and residence rooms, which allowed the Y to become an integral part of the Burlington community. Today, the Y serves more than 15,000 people annually for all ages and walks of life, providing each individual – whether a child, adult or senior – the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive. Annually, the Y provides $400,000 in financial assistance and an additional $500,000 in free and subsidized programs to those in need. The Y is the largest child care provider in Vermont, serving 2,100 families annually and 1,100 children daily. The Y's mission is to build a strong community by involving youth, adults and families in programs and activities that develop spirit, mind and body. Y programs and activities support youth development, healthy living and social responsibility and are available to all regardless of the ability pay.
Est. 1846 Rutland County Agricultural Society
In the fall of 1846, the Rutland County Agricultural Society formed and produced the first Rutland Fair that took place in a field near Castleton, Vermont. The first president of the society was Frederick Button. After moving around to different locations, in 1859 the Rutland Fair moved to its current location, which was the former Rutland County Park. The fair was known as the Rutland Fair until it became the Vermont State Fair in 1972. Their mission is to promote agriculture, education, commerce and entertainment for Vermonters and the region.
Est. 1842 St. Johnsbury Academy
St. Johnsbury Academy was founded in 1842 by a Erastus, Thaddeus and Joseph Fairbanks of Fairbanks Scales to provide intellectual, moral and religious training for their own children and those of the community. When the school was founded, the Fairbanks family set the tuition at a level that allowed any qualified student to attend, thus creating a school in which every child, regardless of family circumstance, had equal access to excellence in education, citizenship and opportunity. This enabled the children of farmers and factory workers to receive a world class education alongside their own children. Today, St. Johnsbury Academy is unique among the world's boarding schools. Our students come from more than 50 communities in Vermont and New Hampshire, nearly half of the American states and even more countries, forming a remarkably diverse yet cohesive and supportive community. Our mission focuses on character, inquiry and community. We expect our students to be good citizens, to study hard, become independent lifelong learners and to give back to their community. Each senior must complete a Capstone project that will help improve the quality of life for the school or community.
Est. 1838 Vermont Historical Society, Barre
Throughout its 174-year history, the Vermont Historical Society (VHS) has exhibited a strong commitment to the preservation of Vermont's history. They have long been the state's premier resource for schoolchildren, teachers, genealogists, historians and travelers who seek to explore our state's rich heritage. Our mission is to engage Vermonters and "Vermonters at heart" through outstanding collections, statewide outreach and dynamic programming. This mission is carried out with the belief that an understanding of the past changes lives and builds strong communities. They attain this mission through their museum and library, educational outreach and programming, and service to local historical societies and museums.
Est. 1836 Lambda Iota Society, Burlington
The Lambda Iota Society was founded in April 1836 at the University of Vermont. This society is the oldest local student society in the nation and stands as a significant part of Vermont and UVM's history. The members were a literary society who followed the works of Byron, engaged in literary and political debate and were burgeoning writers themselves. This association of young men is the oldest fraternity at the University of Vermont and the sixth oldest in the nation. As the Lambda Iota Society has entered the 21st Century, the society has undergone a paradigm shift and maintains its personality as a social and student-based service organization.
Est. 1834 Brattleboro Retreat
Founded in 1834, the Brattleboro Retreat is a nonprofit regional specialty psychiatric and addictions treatment center, providing a full range of diagnostic, therapeutic and rehabilitation services for children, adults and their families. The retreat is the only inpatient psychiatric hospital for children and adolescents in Vermont. The Brattleboro Retreat has a continuum of on-campus services that include inpatient, residential, partial hospitalization, intensive outpatient, traditional outpatient and an on-campus K-12 school program. Recognized for its premier treatment in behavioral healthcare, the Brattleboro Retreat is accredited by numerous state and national organizations, including the Joint Commission. The retreat serves more than 5,000 people annually and employs a staff of approximately 600.
Est. 1833 West Newbury Congregational Church
West Newbury is a small rural community. Its church was built in 1833 for shared use by four denominations. The church partners with the Zimbabwe United Church of Christ, earns funds for Heifer International and assembles Christmas, health and school kits for children. They address local need by supporting the "back room." The Women's Fellowship maintains the church hall and organizes the turkey supper, now in its 57th year, and the summer festival. They have a year-round choir and a restored tracker organ. For 179 years, their lovely church on a hill has been at the center of West Newbury, where neighbor helps neighbor at home and around the world.
Est. 1819 Norwich University, Northfield
Norwich University is a diversified academic institution that educates traditional-age students and adults in a Corps of Cadets and as civilians. Norwich offers a broad selection of traditional and distance-learning programs, culminating in baccalaureate and graduate degrees. Founded in 1819 by Captain Alden Partridge of the U.S. Army, Norwich University is the oldest private military college in the United States of America and is the birthplace of our nation's Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC)
Est. 1816 East Craftsbury Presbyterian Church
East Craftsbury Presbyterian Church has been a place of worship and service in Craftsbury since its founding in 1816. The congregation of 80 members is known for outstanding music and for the civic leadership of many of its members. The church's service to the local community includes providing the home for East Hill Preschool, giving support and outreach to the Craftsbury Community Care Center (as residential home for seniors across the street) and the local food pantry, participating in local projects such as the Antiques and Uniques Summer Event and ongoing support to local migrant farm workers. It is also deeply involved in the support of international mission projects, including education in Pakistan, partnership with churches in South Africa and Heifer Project International. years.
Est. 1798 First Congregational Church of Berlin
The First Congregational Church of Berlin was founded on October 13, 1798. The original meetinghouse on the Old Brookfield Road burned in 1838 and the church, now standing at Berlin Corner, was built. The church is an active participant in the community, donating to local food shelves, providing meals for the Good Samaritan Haven and sponsoring families in need. The Sunday school participates in Operation Christmas Child and post-Irene a clothing drive was held and money was collected for the victims. The current members and friends, together with Dereen Vanderlinde-Abernathy, expect to continue providing a vibrant and welcoming place of worship for the Town of Berlin.
Est. 1796 First Church in Barre, Universalist
The church was founded in 1796. Four of the members were from the John Goldsbury family, the first settlers in Barre. In that same year, thirty votes were cast for the governor of the State of Vermont, seventeen of those votes came from members of the First Parish of Barre. By 1821, the congregation was large enough that a meetinghouse was required and a brick chapel was built in South Barre. In 1851, the present lot was purchased for $850 and the church was built for a total of $4,400. In 1893, the Paine Estate on North Main Street was willed to the church. The home was moved to its present site behind the church to serve as its parsonage. In 1955, the church purchased a new parsonage at 25 Orange Street, converting the old parish house into church offices, Sunday school offices and meeting rooms. In 1981, the Berkshire-built Thurman W. Dix Memorial Organ was installed at a cost of $52,000. They have been serving a monthly soup and sandwich luncheon since 1983; the proceeds of which go to a different charity each month. They have donated over $20,000 to local charities through this event. In 1990, we presented a welcoming congregation program, an educational program designed to confront prejudice against non-heterosexual people, to our members and the community. In 2006, the church was designated a "Green Sanctuary," one of the first in the nation, for its commitment to sustainability and the environment.
Est. 1793 Bradford Congregational Church, United Church of Christ
The original church building was built in 1793, according to a vote at a special town meeting, to serve as the town church. It was built and supported by taxpayers until 1809. On June 24, 1810 the present Congregational Church was organized under the name Calvinistic Congregational Church of Christ. Four years later, in 1814, the name was changed to Bradford Congregational Church Society. By 1876, a new "church edifice" had been built and was ready for use. In 1961, they joined the United Church of Christ. The old church building sits behind the new church and is currently rented to a community theater group. The present church building sanctuary is used for worship services, weddings, funerals, choir festivals, organ and vocal concerts. The vestry is used for fellowship gatherings, meetings, programs and suppers, not only by the congregation but by many other groups, such as the Red Cross, Boy Scouts, Conservation Commission, Historical Society, Ecumenical Dinners and Alcoholics Anonymous.
Est. 1768 First Congregational Church & Society of Windsor
Old South Church in Windsor was formed in 1768. The first legislature of the newly established State of Vermont gathered at the meetinghouse in 1778. The present building was erected in 1798 and is in constant use. They have an active community that gathers for weekly worship, youth events, Bible studies, weddings, funerals, coffeehouses, rummage sales, localvore dinners and seasonal services. Old South Church, United Church of Christ shares their deep care for the wider community and world by organizing monthly free meals, supporting the food shelf, hosting nonprofit groups and working for justice and peace worldwide.
Need help with a web site technical issue?
Questions regarding this page's content?
Please Contact us.